Working in a pool can be a wonderful complement to traditional treatment for children and teens. The water environment provides the benefit of buoyancy as well as resistance to movement. Water properties aid in:
- Improving range of motion and decreasing joint pain and stiffness
- Increasing strength through increased resistance (not always sensed by the child)
- Enhancing coordination and endurance
- Respiratory support and training
- Easier handling and facilitation of the child’s body
- Constant sensory input
- Enhancing muscle relaxation and stretching with heated pool
- Creating a fun environment for achieving results
Children are given the chance to enhance all of their skills in the water while paired with a buddy who will provide 1:1 support throughout the entire session. Our swim lessons are inclusive for children ages 3-6 and 7-11, focusing on fundamentals of swimming and core muscle building.
Weisman Children´s is looking for high school and college students to assist in volunteering as swim buddies and lifeguards in its Adaptive Swim Program. This program involves children with and without special needs between the ages of 3-11.
Become a Volunteer